ADOMAA; SOULFUL SENSATIONS


S
oul, pidgin and an eccentric music that is how I would describe an encounter with Adomaa. With a strong voice, rich with the spectrum of amorous emotions, Adomaa could make any phrase sound melodious (or perhaps she has enchanted me to say this about her music).

Just as always, our first encounter with Adomaa is through music; that is, before we could have the privileged to personally interact with her. Trust me if you meet her personality, you are doomed to love Soul music for some time.
Her experiment with soul music in Ghana leaves a quizzical frown whenever I try to analyze how she has managed to succeed in Ghana’s ‘Hip-life’ dominating music industry and pulling this wide audience.
You hear her lyrics and how they radiate through every chord projections and you begin to accept that there might not be her caliber for some period in history. Her lyrics are built on everyday experiences of relationships from a perspective of a young Ghanaian woman; be it the daily disappointments of love, a girl yearning to be loved better or a tantalizing, girlish crush on an older man (sugar daddy).
After a show we walked up to Adomaa and asked, “Are you sentimental?”
“I don’t even know” she turns to her producer and friend and ask “Am I sentimental?”
Adomaa’s music digs into some depth of emotion and somehow, draws inspiration and strength to come alive. Naturally, we had to quiz her with trick questions like “When was the last time you cried?” “How often are you happy?” and other mundane questions to give up where she gets her rich experience with emotions; yet she wasn’t forth coming.

A simple guitar could flavor her voice to produce an art form that could only be described as glorious. Having seen her live performances (at least for a while now), I am yet to meet an instrumentalist or band capable of keeping up with the perfection she commands. 
To be truthful, I never got her music at first, or why she was so good. It was as if I was listening to a sweet vocalist singing to some random notes (no offence to her instrumentalists). Not until I changed my perspective to experience her music as a harmonious brew of Jazz and soul, with a pinch of highlife to bring it home. Trust me it is an African touch.
Adomaa does what she does just to make people happy. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts